Tuesday, October 23, 2012

learning to listen

{source}
September 18, 2011

A few days ago I realized something.  I've written earlier how I've been struggling with my pregnancy, Boy’s behavior in school, and Husband's addiction.  I used to think that it was too much, that I couldn't handle all these trials at once.  I used to think that it was unfair, that these difficult experiences were just heaped on top of the other.  I now acknowledge what a blessing this pregnancy and motherhood is, and that they’re all related.

Husband and I were recently talking about our mutual desire for a heavenly home.  Within that conversation, I realized that these recent struggles are truly a blessing in disguise.  And it dawned on me that due to my weakened pregnancy state (where I truly feel awful and have to physically slow down) coupled with the efforts of providing a peaceful, quiet environment for Boy (no TV or video games), the Lord has literally forced and/or prepared me to listen to the Spirit.  And I've noticed in just the past couple of weeks that as I act on those promptings, I’m better equipped to hear the still small voice.  Because it really is so very quiet, and can be easily missed.  These struggles have helped me the most in dealing with Husband's addiction because I have had to turn to the Lord; and because I've unwittingly created an environment in which He will answer, and I can listen.  I never could have foreseen the cause and effects of my aforementioned trials, but He has.  I’m amazed at how well He knows, and loves, me.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing coming to the realization that our trials are blessings. It took me years to discover this. It doesn't make it easier, but somehow the load is a bit lighter knowing our Father in Heaven and Savior are there for us...teaching us precious truths along the way.

    We got rid of the cable and the kids can't play video games until Saturday. I love how much we can accomplish each day without the worldly distractions.

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it always drove me crazy when people would get up during testimony meeting and say how grateful they were for their trials! And now I think, "Oh no! I'm becoming one of them!". It may sound cliche, but I think that's just because it's difficult to explain exactly how/why you're able to count your blessings. And you're so right, it's not necessarily easier, just a little lighter ;) I'd like to think our burdens are lighter not because they're less burdensome, but because we're stronger!

      Delete