Wednesday, June 12, 2013

confession​s of a sad, madwoman

{source}
January 19, 2012

I don't know if this will ever be read, let alone responded to... But I figured it can't hurt, and maybe it'll be as helpful/healing as a diary entry.

I am completely lost, and utterly alone. I feel like I have hit rock bottom, several times. I have cried from the darkest pits of despair, “Oh God, why has Thou forsaken me?” and I have waited to hear, to feel, some sort of response. When none comes, I feel simultaneously foolish and guilty. Foolish for believing I deserve His care, and guilty for asking for a sign that He does care. Such roundabout thinking drives me crazy.

I love my husband, and I am loyal to him. He is my best friend, and my worst enemy. I will never leave him, because I cannot leave him. I will not send him to his doom alone. I honestly doubt there is a “perfect” man out there anyway, so what would be the point... My heart breaks for him, and his addiction. As much as I know his actions/thoughts do not define me, they do. We have been married for almost 8 years, and I knew he had a problem before we were married. But, I was naive enough to only think of it as a “little problem” and consider myself lucky that he wasn't addicted to something so vicious as drugs or alcohol. I now know how wrong I was. After years of repeated confessions, both my husband and I realize these vicious cycles for what they are: addiction. But even as he’s admitted defeat, and recommitted himself to the fight (which includes attending SA meetings), he can only last for a few months. And each time he confesses, I find myself slipping more and more into madness. I hate myself and grow numb, and I start to think of ways to harm myself, so that I might feel something. Anything. I continue to count my blessings, and I try my best to have faith in the Lord. But I feel so empty, and so alone. I have no one, not even the Savior. He is quiet to me.

I start to panic. How many times can my heart be broken? I don’t know how much more I can take. I worry that I’m not strong enough to stay around, waiting for my husband to hit rock bottom. He thinks he has. I thought he had. But I don’t know anymore. I don’t know who, or what, to believe in anymore. And I am all alone. I have asked the bishop to point me in the direction of someone, anyone who might help me... Someone who could tell me there is hope, because they've been there and they've experienced it. I need someone to tell me how bad it will get, and how much more I will hurt, and when I can start to hope. And I keep asking for God to send me angels. And all He sends me is a husband, who loves me, but continues to hurt me. What kind of loving Father does that? And so starts the vicious cycle of doubt and despair. And I can’t stop it. It won’t leave me alone, yet I am alone. So I’m left believing that it’s the only thing I have.

I'm struggling with the hopelessness of it all, and I am exhausted of the yo-yo effect. I'm tired of being the strong one, only to become crazy later. And I'm tired of him then being strong when I'm weak, especially when he's the one who's hurt me. It's terribly confusing, and I no longer know who I am, or what I'm doing here. I feel like we both understand the severity of the situation, and we both are willing to do whatever it takes. I just don't know how. In the meantime, I continue to feel alone. And the idea of a constant lifelong battle, with its ups and downs, is literally draining me and our marriage. I'm trying, so hard, to have hope. And to have faith in the Atonement. But I feel like I have dropped so low (again) that I am beyond saving, and I will forever be stuck in a loop of hope followed by despair.

Please, is anybody there?

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And you are loved even though I don't know you personally. I can feel your pain and your loneliness. I was sitting in bed wondering if there was anyone out there who felt the same, and low and behold I found your post. I take this as a sign that God knows us, He is aware of our pain. He is aware of our feelings of despair, and He wants us to comfort and help one another. I will pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. Or at least some parts of how you feel. And it helps me to know that I'm not the only one who's felt like this. Hang in there. Something will change and things will get better. I don't know how it happens, but it does. Praying for you tonight.

    Watching this gives me hope. And it comes packaged in the form of a sweet little man experiencing similar emptiness.
    https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2006/10/sunday-will-come?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...I was thinking about this idea that your recovery is directly impacted by your husband's recovery. What I mean is when your hubby relapses/confesses, that is your relapse....except it's all by surprise. You have no idea when it's coming.

    And that must suck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate. Married 4 years, riding this addiction cycle. I can't help, but I can tell you, you are not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often feel exactly how you described. We don't know each other so I'm not sure this will help you... but I'm here. I'm here. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! I think you just described me the last few weeks. I could have written this post - I was just praying last night that I could just have a friend. Just someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about. I hope you find some peace! Know there are others who feel the same. I wish I knew you so I could hug you!

    ReplyDelete